Sunday 17 January 2016

A New Posting...Interested? The Area code is 867.


It all started out with something I have been doing on my tours north...reading the bulletin boards...in grocery stores, restaurants, airports, and the health centres. We see them with all manner of advertisements, info sheets, and papers with photos displaying and relaying information of all sorts.

I began doing this intensive reading during the lunch hours at the Kivillaq Regional Medical Centre during my first visit to Rankin Inlet in January of 2008...since during the working hours there were patients and families in the waiting areas and was difficult to read the notices mounted on the boards behind their seats.


Last february, in the local Northern grocery store in Rankin Inlet, I found out there was a gathering taking place on saturday morning..setting up at 9..sales at 10. I was early since I wanted to see what was available. Home cooked goodies of all manner...some more appealing than others were lined on the tables. Nothing could be sold before ten...and they were strict.
The Sushi packages were soon completely sold out!
The indoor "Yard Sale" at the Rankin Inlet Community Hall

Wall hangings, bead work, small carvings, jewellery, fresh vegetables and sushi...car parts, clothes new and used...I was not the only one that arrived early. People were setting up their booths, organizing their wares, and generally having a social event.

Sale restrictions were being strictly enforced...so the pair of seal mitts I had eyed were 30 minutes from sale. I sat with the vendor and learned all about their life in Rankin, how they had made the mitts and a history of the town, involving those manning other tables in close proximity. Ten o'clock came...and the mitts were mine!

The big sellers that day were the veggies (2 re-useable grocery bags filled with onions, celery, tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce, mushrooms and many more assorted for $30)...and those folks who had imported the myriad of stacks of sushi. Almost everyone who entered the community centre that day was going home with fresh sushi and more vegetables than they would usually buy in a month.

I got the mitts...but they weren't for me!
That was then...but now in Cambridge Bay here in western Nunavut, a whole new set of boards awaited...and they did not disappoint. Since coming to town, I joined the library which is attached to the high school and is just four buildings down the street. By joining, I could then borrow from their extensive DVD collection and play them back at the “Manor”. The DVD's have provided more background and detailed information, to increase my knowledge about the north and make my blogs entertaining yet truthful.

House for Sale Asking $130,000
The bulletin boards have provided information about the importance of good nutrition, the costs of taxis both here in town and when I visited KUGLUKTUK on my way here. Often you'll find things for sale. On one board, a 3 bedroom house was advertised. On another information was posted regarding the presence of the dentist and his hours while in town. Apparently he travels through several communities,and once a month stops here in Cambridge Bay.

Quilting sessions at the Wellness Centre
The quilting group meets in town and the information was there as well for all to see. Bring your scissors, it says...a social occasion for a few, no doubt. The hand work here is quite unbelievable. Wall hanging and bead work are two of the best examples to date. Sewing for the family, is something that is encouraged since as the elders ranks are reduced, so are their skills, knowledge and their dedication to detail.

Sewing can involve the use of tanned hides. These are available at the Co-op and the Northern as well. Their use can be seen on the clothing and boots of many. I happened to stop at the Library on thursday afternoon, traced my foot on a blank piece of standard white bond and by monday morning my custom made sealskin slippers had been delivered. My feet at the Manor have never been warmer.

The most interesting of notes on the bulletin board raised my interest early last week. I had missed the same event in Rankin Inlet both times and was determined not to miss it this time. Friday afternoon, I dialed the Library and my contact at the library confirmed the posting. So after getting, called into the health centre and completing my patient...I was off. The sky...clear and blue, the wind..a slight breeze. The sun about to rise above the horizon to our south.

This caught my eye as I had missed the two previous builds in Rankin
Long underwear, 2 layers of sweaters, the head gear, over pants, 2 layers of socks, face mask and all, I was headed out onto the land...following our road to the east, then out on the bay shore half way to the Cairn marking the Maude. My first iglu...from start to finish...would my camera battery last?

No comments:

Post a Comment