Thursday 14 January 2016

The Manor at Cambridge Bay

The "Manor" of Cambridge Bay South Entrance
Upon arrival at CYCB, the airport of Nunvaut's Cambridge Bay hamlet, the daylight was waning and the darkness of night was well underway. It was just after two p.m., when the pickup battery had been jumped to get the truck started. The accumulated snow, across the main entrance to the airport terminal was proper grounding for the weeks ahead and matched the date on the calendar for this locale. Welcome to January 6 above the Arctic Circle.

The Kitchen...ready for battle
My driver was Harry. I was the navigator. A few seconds out of the airport lot, my driver pointed left to an enclosed dome half mile away. Surrounded by bright sodium vapour lights, it shone brightly...a tribute to the men and women protecting our north..the DEW LINE he said. I nod in agreement.

My "Great Room" at the Manor
The two mile truck trek, with some luggage secured in the snow filled box, to the health centre only took a few minutes to complete. My driver gave me a ten minute trip through town. A left here, a right there and a few hundred yards and another turn...past the high school, the senior public school, the arena, the Health Centre, past Arctic College, the Co-op...and the Northern.

Ready for showing...
Surprisingly it made some sense as I tried to relive the Google Earth marathon I had walked digitally...the few weeks before from the comfort of my living room in Niagara. Here, it was now almost dark...the street lights illuminating our way through town. The sky was clear. The air crisp and dry. The hard packed snow was crunching again underfoot. The wind was blowing as we disembarked the extended cab.

The Bloggers "desk" already watching CHCH
At the south entrance, I tried each of the keys on the neck strap. By now, there were some pieces of luggage at the door but like Ali Babba, the door would not open. The heavy tub remained on the back truck box...the tailgate down. The snow was now starting to blow and the dim light, along with my glasses frosting, made it difficult to find the correct key and then make the key fit the lock.

Step two....try the South entrance. Reload the truck, drive the length of the building and try again. Success. Harry helped carry the tub to the top of the steps and inside to the top of the landing. We parted company and I told him I would see him at the health centre as I carried my hand luggage down to the end apartment. I opened the door...I was home.

Blackout curtains on the wndows aren't needed this time of year
For the next four weeks, my address would be here at the “Manor” as I call it. Street unkown, number unknown...first floor on the right. A single bedroom, kitchen, living room and bath...hardwood wide plank flooring throught...vinyl in th ekitchen and bath. I was here...safe and sound...two days late...but safely arrived after two days of swirling winds and snow locally. Like the others, who had arrived earlier on the jet...we were here.....finally.

Once I had unpacked my food stuffs for the fridge, I donned my toque, mitts and raised my hood and made my way the 20 meters to the Health Centre next door. A quick magnetic swipe and I was inside. On arrival at the Health Centre, I met the NIC (nurse in charge), parked my boots and outer gear and joined the others now gathered for a tour of the Kitikmeot Regional Health Centre. A total of six new staff members had arrived today, I was the only member on the ATR, the rest arriving on the Canadian North 737....if I hadn't switched...it would have been two  more days to get here.

I was introduced as Bernice matching the “name” on my key tags...it broke the ice...and made the remainder of the tour a more relaxed affair. I was introduced to the new Ultrasonographer as well as the other three nurses, and Simon, the doc. A green team to Cambridge Bay but a wealth of individual experience. After the tour to the second floor and a few more questions returned to our areas, to spend some time acquainting ourselves to our equipment and areas.

Soon, the day was over...and time to return to the Manor to unload, stock drawers and unwind after a long day of travel. The key worked this time as I had the correct key now and it had slid easily into the key slot. The door of my single opened and I entered, hung my coat, boots, gloves and toque on the hangers and shelf in the alcove by its entrance.

First grocery order...totalling $58.45 including the $5.79 NNC subsidy
The bedding was in a pile, centre of the bed...as it should be...washed, dired and ready to install. The remainder of the place had been cleaned. It didn't take long to unpack...hanging, separating sorting and storing. The bed made...things here...things there...setting up the kitchen.

Apartment residence on left, Doctor's house on right
KIKITMEOT Health Centre in the background  
It was soon done...and time for supplies...a quick trip to the Northern before they closed for the night...just the essentials to get through the next couple of days. Bread, milk, orange juice, mayo, mustard, pound of bacon, a value 12-pak of hot dog buns and a package of Schneiders Redhots...tube steak of the north!

It totalled $58.45...I hadn't gotten my ELDER'S DISCOUNT CARD so I didn't save the 10%. Bag or Box...I took the box, figuring I might be able to use the cardboard at a later date. The 500 meter walk home was sheltered from the wind as I walked along the side of the store, back towards the health centre and the apartment building.

Just before I crossed the street, another snow machine went by...and just like most boaters on any lake...on any summer day down south, the driver raised his hand to acknowledge me...my gloved hand did the same. Welcome to Cambridge Bay I thought...time for supper and sleep.

















No comments:

Post a Comment