Sunday 10 January 2016

Hey...It's Saturday!


Friday night "end of week" celebration meal 
It's Saturday!!!!! My first day off....well, not really off....I'm still married to my BlackBerry but so far this week...only one callback....and that was just after we had closed for the day. I'm trying to get used to the Blackberry...I know it's Canadian eh?..but I'm not doing so well on this piece of technology. I'll get the hang of it soon.

I'm getting accustomed to the noises in the apartment so I'm sleeping more soundly. Friday night, I celebrated with a homemade spaghetti and meatball dinner completed with a half glass of wine and garlic bread fresh from the oven....actually it was 12 grain bread from the fridge....and I could only imagine what this meal would have tasted like with actual garlic bread....but imagery works...in the north!

Home delivery ...AND PICK UP (different trucks!!!!)
I had been living out of a suitcase for a week already...so it was time for a couple loads of laundry and the weather looked good. No, I wasn't going to hang the stuff out on the line...I was just following the warnings posted in my kitchen and in our laundry area. “WHEN THERE ARE STORM WARNINGS...DO NOT DO LAUNDRY...THERE WILL BE NO WATER DELIVERY OR SEWAGE PUMP-OUT”.

In case, you aren't aware...many communities in the north cannot support in-ground sewer and water lines. The ground is solid rock so blasting would be the only option for burying...and besides they would often freeze solid in this climate...so there are trucks delivering fresh potable water...and they are visible throughout the day. The other trucks take the used water and sewage away from the residences and businesses....all very neat.

We have flush toilets, taps and sinks, showers and such...but I've been programmed to thinking I was at a summer cottage and am mindful of the extreme water waste that can occur...but here is nothing like a long, hot steamy shower...in the morning...just to raise the humidity levels in the apartment...if nothing more...LOL.

The main entrance to Inns North Hotel and Restaurant
My plan for today was to head down to the INNS NORTH, and have saturday breakfast there. Many of the nursing staff in Rankin Inlet would do the same and you met others from the community at the same time. I wasn't able to to stir the ranks, but I met the Ultrasound tech who walked with me through that section of town...traditions have to start somewhere. Maybe they'll be more in the weeks ahead.

When I'm flying, especially on different airlines, I love to read those dog-eared magazines that are next to the sick bag and the emergency instructions in that pocket just in front of your seat on the plane. Earlier that day while reading one of those magazines, I had read the advertisement for INNS NORTH in Cambridge Bay. The “UP HERE: the Voice of Canada's Far North” magazine is compliments of Canadian North, my travel provider has some great photos in it from their recent photo contest...some very stunning stuff.

Along with the winners were the honourable mentions. It gave me more ideas to try later in this trip. The articles included “Insider's Guide to the North” a monthly synopsis of what to do and where to go..some fascinating articles and events including October's “ The Last Canoe of the Season”.

“Two feet and 12,00 hooves” an article describing all aspects of the reindeer of the Mackenzie Delta. It starts as follows: “Three thousand reindeer approach the Ice Road that extends from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk on the Arctic coast. You can hear their tendons click and the snow crunch under their hooves. You hear them grunt and you see the fog rise off them, as the Arctic air meets their bodies, warm from movement.” I had been instructed earlier that if ever in INUVIK in December..to make sure I went to the Santa Claus parade there....as they use real reindeer to pull the sleigh through town....now I knew why.

The ad for “Spectacular Northwest Territories told of Hay River's “Polar Pond” hockey tourney and the Beavertail and Muskrat Jamborees happening in Fort Simpson (where the road ends..the fun begins) and Inuvik respectively. The article “Bordering on the Absurd” told of 5 quirks and the reasons behind them in establishing the actual boundary lines when Nunavut had been created.
Canadian High Actic Research Station (CHARS) opening in 2017

I found out that Cambridge Bay was “the Heart of Canada's Arctic” from the Canada High Arctic Research Station located here and in final construction phases of their final building...and on schedule to open next year. I was saddened when I realized that I would be missing the 2016 KITKMEOT TRADE SHOW starting here in town the week after I will be leaving...this year's theme is “Kitikmeot in Motion” is a partners in progress, networking style trade show in its 17th year. Not bad for a new territory...born in 1999.

My meal had come in at less that twenty bucks...a deal for a huge omelet, a hearty helping of home fries, orange slice, and two thick slices of whole wheat jam included and washed down with four cups of coffee. As I went to pay my way bill on the way out the door, the manager of the hotel/restaurant was seated across from me. I thanked her and asked about something I had read.

My closest encounter with a female or young male mounted on the wall
“Was it true”, I asked, “that your conference room boasts some artifacts from the Franklin expedition?” She looked up at her two eggs and breakfast, turned to me and as she rose said..”Do you want to see it?” “Finish your breakfast, I've got time” I replied. She would have no part of my waiting. She departed the office leaving the eggs to cool and we climbed the stairs to the “Northwest Passage Room above and flipped on the lights.

To my left...a polar bear was mounted flat against the wall...probably a female or perhaps younger male as it had a smaller head than many I've seen (none live!!!!). Step by step she went through the room stopping at each and every hanging picture, diagram or wall decoration...each had a story...and she took the time to relate to each. She was pleased that someone would take the time to visit and ask about these objects.

The head was smaller than many I've seen







I asked if photos might be allowed...and a quick “of course” was the reply. There was enough material here to last me a while so I suggested that she return to her breakfast and allow me to work. I moved chairs and closed drapes to reduce glare...adjusting lighting along the way...some pictures I removed from the walls and gingerly replaced them carefully once photographed.

In an hour, I was done...the collection now recorded for future editions. The chairs were re-positioned and the lights were shut down as I made my way below to thank her for her assistance and cooperation. I said I'll be back next Saturday and I hope to have more with me at the next visit.

It was just 11:30 as I left the Inns North building. The dusk had turned to brighter daylight...time to wander along the coast down by the dock and see how much brighter the sun would get and to see if it might rise today above the horizon.

The sun "scape" on saturday just after 12 noon








No comments:

Post a Comment